Thursday, June 16, 2005

Proper 6, Thursday: Stumbling Blocks

Today's Readings:
  • Psalm 83 or 84
  • 1 Samuel 2:27-36
  • Acts 2:22-36
  • Luke 20:41-21:4

An angel comes to Eli and tells him that his sons will die, and on that day God will raise up a prophet. Peter teaches the crowds about Jesus' resurrection and how God raised him from death. Jesus reiterates two very important lessons: don't be a poseur, and be generous even in poverty.
Yesterday I wrote about God wanting Eli's sons to die. They did something so offensive to God that God drew the line, they were unforgivable. What did they do? They took the best meats and drink of the sacrifices, they slept with the women in the temple. They ignored the sanctity of the temple, they interefered with other's as they worshipped God. In the past few weeks we've heard 'woe to those who put stumbling blocks in the way of God's children.' It wasn't a new concept to Paul, it was ancient. So what does it mean to put a stumbling block in front of God's children? There are as many answers as there are human beings, I suspect.
There is an idea in mentoring, guiding, or just plain helping others out, that says: Push on someone really really hard and they will respond with excellence. I respond with anger. I respond with a destructive anger. In religion this shows up as the preacher going on and on about sin. Berating me for my sins, especially sins I don't suffer from, I get pissed. Usually because I feel like there is an act of judgement happening at the same time. "You are a horrible worthless sinner, but I am saved." It doesn't work. I've never been pushed so far that I've hit someone, but I've wanted to. A short jab to the jaw will shut them up so the congregation can go back to searching for God. To me it's like playing one of those 'find the widget' games when everyone clues you in by saying "hot" or "cold" depending on where you move or what you do. It's like playing that game but having everyone screaming "COLD" in your face constantly, no matter what you do. Even if you pick up the hidden object, they keep screaming "COLD" until you drop it.
This kind of behavior does not make me want to find God, but to get away from them. I get so taken up by escaping that I can't settle down and look for where God is in the exchange. Not even in retrospect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home